Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 75 - Oh happy day! Haiku

Scoff, quaff, pig-out, feast.
Indulgence three is here yo!
And ninety is nigh...

Indulgence of curry was followed by Hayden treating me to coffee in Starbucks. He had a doughnut-like sugary twist and a hot chocolate and I had two coffees with 'normal' milk because I had this puppy waiting for me at home...

Another fantastic cake from my beloved La Bess cake shop. I've never thought of myself as being a fan of cake until this project, but cakes with marron, dense cream cheese, matcha flavours, all really hit the spot. This one came from the end of the roll so it had a kind of crust that was almondy and had a hint of cocoa. I wanted to have an indulgence that had a kind of decadent evening at home feeling, so I ate this at about 1 am while watching 'I love you Philip Morris' and drinking ginger tea and it was heavenly.


It's so funny that during the PCP of all things, I have discovered a new pleasure in life! Cake! I used to think it was just for girls and old ladies eating scones and drinking tea. And yet, I'm happy to welcome this new taste into my life without fear of it taking over. Why? I've learnt to know when to say no to the thousand small temptations that will wreck my chances of eating well. 

Examples of pointless calorie consumption

1. Not having hot chocolate and choosing a straight coffee in Starbucks
2. Saying 'no thank you' to the tray of treats at work
3. Looking the other way and saying 'no thank you' when my boss waved a box of chocs under my nose 'Won't you just look at them?'
4. Not dumping a load of salad dressing onto vegetables.

And being honest about my weaknesses...

1. When I'm down my instinct is to hoover up salty and sweetened food. I need a plan of what to do instead of eating. 
2. I like to eat ALOT, to see a table and bowls, preferably two, of food. This is all fine, as long as it's veggies!

Going back to the indulgence, Patrick asked if there were any side effects. I did feel incredible happy. This is because of sugar. The first mouthful of the cake sent shivers of sugar down my legs, before I even started to chew it! Like a drug. And the best part of the curry was the texture of the cheese nan plus the slight bitterness of the spinach curry. Buttery and creamy. Although I spread out the curry and the dessert, the total creaminess of the evening made me a little queasy. 

One thing I am proud of is that I entertained the idea of some icecream (chocolate, Haagan Daz) to go with the cake, but I remembered how it felt when I had Indulgence 2, and decided against it. Knowing what to leave OUT so that I can taste and enjoy everything is a skill I'm going to work on. In fact, the curry would have been just perfect in itself last night, but I had an agenda...

Post PCP, I want to indulge responsibly, but with a sense of wanton abandon too! Giving myself to the pleasure, but without the feeling of hurry, as though it was my last meal!

Did you guys learn anything new? Or was it more a well-deserved treat?


5 comments:

  1. Haha, love it Helen. You look genuinely like you are enjoying it... Priceless...

    Keep Styling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your indulgence looks yummy and it seems you've hit the nail on the head with the diet, saying no to all those evil temptations. Haha funny that you had your cake whilst watching 'I love you Phllip morris' - fun times !!!
    ur rocking this Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pic is great! You look like a kid about to do something super naughty and fun... like with your hand in the cookie jar :) MMMMMM It all looks sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete