Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 13 - Spinach, eggs, aftershocks



A better night's sleep has helped, but there continue to be more smaller quakes. I am also worried about the nuclear situation. I'm torn between the bigger picture and the stuff of my life right now. One thing that did strike me on Friday when I was walking home was that it wasn't a big deal for me to walk back - I knew the route as I've been coming to work by bike a few times a month for about a year. I wasn't clutching a map! The streets were full of people walking calmly home even though there were sirens. Lots of commentators have described the strengths of Japanese society  -  calmness, discipline, and attention to the feelings of others. My British neighbour said 'Imagine a quake in the UK! People would be so rowdy...' But the geography of a country shapes the mindset of the people. If you live with a natural threat, then you become aware that you are very small and need the people around you. 

How does all this relate to PCPing? First off, confidence in your body is a tremendous thing at any time, but especially in an emergency. Self awareness and awareness of others comes from physical strength. In fact, I don't think  you can become physically strong without also being mentally strong too. 
The other thing I felt is that eating well and exercising well is a way to honour the fact that we are alive this day. We don't 'have to' eat a well-balanced meal or exercise or rest afterward. We get to do all these things because we are alive and here now.  

-------


A few things to report PCP-wise. 

1. Enjoying eating PCP food very much. I'm not sure if canned fish is okay though. I want to stick to fish as much as possible for my protein as it's more satisfying for me. 

2. I hit 114 jumps yesterday and a record 143 today. 

3. Working out later is better for me with a warm body, but I really don't like leaving it! Any thoughts PCP-ers?

4. I'm enjoying milk and yogurt and protein very much. 

5. I'm glad I'm doing this!

1 comment:

  1. "I don't think you can become physically strong without also being mentally strong too." - I absolutely agree with this.. Mental attitude affects everything! Motivation, determination, organisation.. it all depends on your mental attitude. But the physical side also feeds into the mental side.. A couple of times I clearly haven't hit my minimum calorie intake for the day, and I've felt very withdrawn, lethargic and demotivated. Glad to hear you're doing well Helen - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete