Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 16 - Running out of my office and hanging in there

The angst over the nuclear situation is taking its toll - I left the office early (I was the only one who did as far as I know) during the afternoon's short quake.

Went home and slept for about 4 hours which was great and what I needed. I feel like I am doing so little, but I'm just trying to stay level. Doing PCP stuff is helping, giving me a bit of routine, and discipline. That said, I am eating more than my allowance, not massively, but a bit more. Asked Patrick for advice today and looking forward to the reply.

One other routine that is helping is going to the sento (public bath) pretty much every night. It's a typical local sento in a rather dilapidated but scrupulously clean building. There are always fresh flowers in the reception, television on, friendly staff who ask about me. And today two local women asked me about why I was quicker than usual and about how I was doing. They were laughing and smiling, talking about cats sensing quakes, and people snoring through them.

Secrets to keeping through a crisis seem to be connection to others, humour, a gentle discipline. Although today I tightened the bands!

Weight is down by nearly 1.5 k. since starting PCP but muscles are developing. Definitely feeling a burn and deep readiness for sleep.

PCP-ers who are further down the line, how do you reward yourself for sticking with it when you can't dial a pizza or have a beer?

2 comments:

  1. hey helen - will try and keep in touch. sorry I have been a bit less focused myself. I left Tokyo a year ago but have many friends and work colleagues still there. I was meant to be there next week with work but have had to put that back.
    thoughts though - the food is so important. get into a habit and stick to it. make it interesting. read some of our blogs like George or Aki who had some great food ideas. Other people like Richard or Molly have so much enthusiasm. The only way you get this right is from within and so that is what has to drive you all the time. That and not letting anyone else done and aspiring to be the best you can.
    I know you can do it. Your blog is a great read and thats fantastic but the work behind it is even more important. You will do it and soon you will be where we are now on day 61 wondering what on earth will come next. Keep it up and to use a word from our team - Giddyup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good progress Helen, regarding stress eating, the key is to just not cave during those 5 minutes when the stress response is screaming at you to get some sugars and fats in your body. Eat some seaweed, drink water or tea, get your mouth busy consuming something, and you'll find the craving evaporates in just minutes.

    And most important is to recognize the craving as it arises, befriend it and just let it do its thing, like a small child that pitches a fit but is at heart just an innocent bundle of feelings and urges.

    ReplyDelete