Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 25 - Decisions decisions

Today we got our orders to have a treat. It's really interesting to see how I handled this bit of news. The main issue is the restriction to a) eat 200 - 400 cal. and b) eat it during the day to burn it off.

I've been telling myself that a curry plus nan is the big treat - but I checked the calories of nan and it's way over. So that might be a post PCP treat or for when things get ugly which I'm assured they will.

Read about other PCP-ers, as well as Patrick's experience with the indulgences. I get why we are doing it, to see that these foods are 'not all that' and to approach them with greater awareness and calm. However, I felt anything but calm as my colleague started talking about the possible breach in the reactor. Felt very anxious and bought a packet of McVities chocolate digestives. This was with one eye on the numbers - thinking about the fact that a packet had only 150 cal., leaving the possibility of a double day treat. But then I thought, I am doing enough number crunching here and an indulgence is meant to have a bit of 'hat to the wind' about it. The biscuits can go to someone else. It's not hard to give away food in Japan!


On the way to the supermarket, I passed a tiny locally-owned cake shop that is big enough for two customers, one counter, and hearty looking cakes. The owner and chef has displayed copious handwritten notes about the ingredients in both kanji and English calligraphy. Over Christmas I bought a selection of gingerbread, cakes, and candles for a friend and his girlfriend from there, but nothing for myself. I often glance inside as I go past and debate my choices as a kind of substitute for having something. Well, no more debate, no more giving away, tomorrow I will go in, enjoy my choices, and probably get either a marron creme or big round white cheese cake, take it home in a white box, and enjoy it with a cup of tea and movie. And it will be one indulgence with a beginning, middle, and end. Does that make sense PCP-ers who've had their indulgence?

It's so funny that for about a couple of hours today I really resented this choice and feared it would screw up my work. Definitely time to let some pressure off!

No comments:

Post a Comment