Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 22 - Your Body 101.

Today got to the studio in Yokohama on a cold dark night  having crashed out on the train from Tokyo.
Did a workout with Patrick and Kazue and then he proceeded to zap me with a magic scale that told me a few things.

The good news is as follows

1. I have low visceral fat (Mmmm...visceral faaaat) which  means that I am at lower risk of various diseases.
2. My muscular percentage is not great but not bad either. He's seen worse.

The bad news is

1. I have high 'subcutaenous fat' (This fat sounds snobby) which Patrick pleasingly dubbed 'the wetsuit'.
2. My body likes to store fat...in the muscles. This explains why despite swimming/jogging/recently capoeira my muscles still look rather sad.
3. My body will raid energy, guess where? From muscles.

We cycle round to the good news.

I need to keep eating protein. To be blunt 'We're going to keep you tanked up'. Team Io, I promise to bear this burden bravely. Patrick looked worried when he told me this, but really, I've embarrassed bigger men than him with how much I can put away.

I then celebrated all this by eating 1.5 times the protein I should have for dinner. I know this because Matsuya kindly labelled how much was in that steak. Not to mention the salt. I think I was feeling a bit emotional and COLD, and telling shop staff that 'No, I don't want the rice nor the miso' depleted my will to eat just 2/3 of the 140 g. of steak. It was nice though. Patrick, any suggestions on what I should do to recover? Less carbs tomorrow? Or just push on regardless? I know that shutting my mouth is a good starting point.

In other news, things are looking better re Fukushima, but it's a long road ahead for the people in the North of Japan who have little to eat and are fighting for survival. For once, I feel some empathy with the things I see on the news and it makes me sad and grateful at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, thank you for posting this Helen. The way you describe it, I think I have a wetsuit too! Patrick has certainly kept me tanked up anyway... You look great in your photos by the way. With your bone structure your new muscles are going to pop... keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen

    In the beginning Patrick also told me I carried fat in my muscles, but you sure look better then I did on day 1! Compared to you I carried MAJOR fat in my muscles....you are doing great and are so good on commenting. Thanks for all yours.

    ReplyDelete