Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 15 - "Muscles are like work animals"

Haruki Murakami, the Japanese novelist, is also a marathon runner, triathlete, and all-round inspiration for the connection between intellect and body. In his book 'What I talk about when I talk about running' he talks about how exercise, specifically running, was vital to his writing. He started running in his late thirties - my age - around the time he was transitioning from running a jazz bar to being a full time writer.

One of his observations of the early stages in building strength really chimed with me:

"Muscles are like work animals. You need to patiently show them every day what is expected of them and they will obey".

Similar to Patrick's advice about being 'mule-ish'!

That's the good news. The bad news is that if you let up on these 'animals' then they get lazy very quickly.

I feel like on the PCP we are constantly being pushed harder, but really a lot of what we are doing is building consistency with our bodies, giving the mules the same message. This is what you are made for.

----

Today was another day in this unreal situation that is unfolding. People are leaving the country, leaving Tokyo. I've entrusted my decision on this to someone whose expertise dwarfs what I know. This has given me clarity, but no comfort.

PCP-ing is my new normal!

-----

Stay safe everyone in Tokyo and let's hope for an end to this horrible situation soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I can't imagine what it's like over there.. and kudos for keeping up with this amid everything thats going on.

    ReplyDelete