Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 5 - Capoeira, food, happiness.

CAPOEIRA 

This evening we practised a tough pose for me - balancing your body weight on your elbows and extending the legs. Right now my mind gets it, but my body doesn't. I'm not worried about this. But, about six months ago, I went through a phase when I just froze in classes if I didn't get something. I felt tearful and embarrassed. Everyone else was doing okay, why wasn't I? That kind of thought.

Recently I'm more comfortable with just sucking at the beginning.  

I realized that learning something new is sometimes just a process of sucking less. Tonight, on my tenth or so attempt at the badass move, just before I collapsed, I remembered the place my elbow was meant to go (just in the squidgy bit by my ribs!) and tried to focus on what it felt like. I got a glimpse of what it would be like to suck less.

FOOD  

Kaiten sushi twice today - would normally have about 5/6 plates, but had 3 at lunch with 1/2 bowl aomori miso and 1/2 a plate of wakame. After capoeira, I got a couple of plates and the same miso at a place in Kichijioji. Kaiten sushi is great because you just take as much or as little as you want.


HINT:  Focus on your plate and dining companion. Do not look too long at the merry-go-round!

HAPPINESS IS THIS!

Fruit dessert at Takano Fruits Parlor. Mainly fresh fruit, but a scoop each of icecream, pureen and a dab of raspberry compote. I had about three teaspoons of the icecream, one taste of the pureen, then enjoyed sliced  kiwi, melon, strawberries, persimmon. Eating fruit is a real joy for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Even better is when it is shared dessert with a wonderful lady, Yoko, who gave me a truly PC-compliant present from Hawaii, a calendar entitled "Men of the Hawaiian Islands". Awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Sushi sounds like a good idea! I wonder what the official PCP stance on sushi is? It seems like the kind of thing you could eat a lot of without many negative consequences (i.e. lots of protein).. I wonder if my intuitions are correct. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is paranoid about the quality of kaitenzushi, so I don't get chance to eat it much... Will have to find a good quality traditional sushi restaurant that we can go to together!

    ReplyDelete