Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 36 - Sleep, mind, exercise

I've been going on recently about how important it is to get enough sleep! I know I have it easier than many PCP-ers who have families and more demanding jobs, but the video is produced by a mother of two young girls and she's learnt how to say 'NO' to the email, the tv, the books, the 'one more thing', and just switch off the light.

Deep, heavy, knocked-out sleep yesterday! Oh yes! Then a really satisfying pre-brekkie workout under the sakura this morning. I still need to push myself with the floor jumps, and the piston squats were on pathetic jelly-legs after jumping. Failed after the third set of pull-ups. I'm going to do PU again tonight on my way home in a different 'free gym' AKA kids playground and play around with the form of the squats in my room tonight. A little bit of advance planning will save me time consulting the computer screen!

Saying 'Do it badly' is a way for me to get past the feeling of 'I'm so useless'. It's better to fail on the first attempt, than to never try. I think I failed this morning as I really went for it with the swing of the PU. With skipping, I found the form easier when I tried to go fast (less mind interference) and then my lack of cardiovascular strength let me down.

As we all get fitter, I think mastering new exercises will be different. Still hard, but more control and body intelligence. Have you noticed any patterns with your training yet? Do you go after speed or form or just get through them?

Have a great Day 36 gang!

3 comments:

  1. oh, I like the happiness project....... tho' i couldn't get the link to work :( Helen i enjoy the thoughtful approach you are taking to all the exercises and your project in general. I am not as patient.... i have shiny happy fits of rage during the entire workout. shiny happy fits when i "get it" and rage when i bust a gut or fail... but learning that it is actually more about surrender (the good kind), in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, yep as soon as i wrote that... tried the link again and it worked, go figure... thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Helen, how are you doing? I can see you are getting more and more "genki" on a daily base. I'm really glad for your achievement. About pull ups and squats, it is hard, cause you are working with your body weight, and our modern muscles are not prepared anymore to deal with our body weight. But seeing your determination I'm sure you will be mastering your body weight in no time.
    Keep up the good work!
    Bolinha.
    Ps: sorry about not leaving comments everyday...

    ReplyDelete