Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 46 - 'If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't

Here is my morning snack of 140 g. fruit (mandarin left over from yesterday, two-thirds of a grapefruit) and an egg white with shisho-dressing. I really like the fruit snacks in spite of the extra work they involve because I get such a big energy swoop out of them. The water in the fruit has suprised me during the PCP so far (confession, I ate an entire apple last night pre capoeira). Some fruits like grapefruit, apples, oranges seem to go along way. 

Fruit is THE true 'convenience food'. You give a quick rinse (or not with citrus), cut (or just bite) and then get a huge hit of taste, freshness, and water. 

Compare the abundant gift a piece of fruit gives you to the cost to your body of eating packaged foods. They pack a high salt content, additives, preservatives that stop the raw materials going off but also strain your digestive system. The taste of almost all processed foods (often called 'oyatsu' in Japanese) is certainly more intense on a savoury level than fruit. But packaged foods invariably drain us of energy about 20 minutes after consumption because of the energy required to digest. 

I see people in my office snacking on cookies, salty sembei rice crackers, popcorn and sometimes people ask me if I miss what they are having. 

I don't miss the energy slump and the dry feeling in my mouth or the knowledge that I've just put a 200 cal or more hurt on my body that won't satisfy me. The snack pictured was eaten 10 minutes ago. Now my body is energized, fresh, and light. Isn't this 'convenient'? 

Food that is ridiculously simply to prepare, fun to eat, and smoothly digested. Some things about the PCP are a breeze!

----
On another topic...

I sometimes wonder about whether I should go onto free-range or more humanely farmed eggs given how many whites I am eating a day though. The whole factory farming thing makes me queasy even though I adore eating egg whites. 



6 comments:

  1. Hey Helen - I'm with you on the fruit. Much better than any 'snack' that can be produced in a factory, and infinitely better for you too! I enjoyed some delicious strawberries today! There's nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat free range eggs... but not for the reason you may think. I honestly think they taste better. I mean maybe I am crazy but this one brand I buy seems fresher??? I also noticed the egg yolk separates better and the egg cracks easier and in a way that makes it easy to separate equally. I am sure this has nothing to do with Chickens hanging outside the gated area, BUT who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, a groggy low energy day will kill much more of your time than it would take to prepare a healthy snack. There just aren't any shortcuts in life, if you cut a corner by buying premade preserved food you'll pay for it in some other way some other time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm the fresh fruit looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good advice with the sleep and veges - I definitely need more of both!

    ReplyDelete