Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 48 - Self reflection, spilled milk, training

Barbara Stanwyck (193) by uf28

Today was a 'busy' Sunday. The main 'anchor' was some training with Patrick with Jon and Paul from my group. Great session guys! That was at 4.30 in Yokohama and I'd fixed this before hearing about my capoeira group's plans to play capoeira under the cherry trees of Inokashira Park, chill outside, and have a picnic.

This tore me up frankly. I get a lot of motivation from both activities, but frankly, I'd rather have a whole afternoon in the park with my friends and people I want to make my friends.  Who wouldn't? I'm sure the other guys would also have been doing other more 'Sunday'ish things. However, I'd been the one to encourage the other PCP-ers to train and I knew that was my priority.

Slept late, jumped rope, had breakfast, shopped for fruit...At midday I couldn't decide whether to go to the park or not. It was the kind of thing where the journey there was longer than the time there. I keep missing these capoeira social events especially as I don't eat with the group after class. So, I decided to go, show my face, enjoy the ride on the train and the trees. This meant that I had to pack a lunch, pre and post workout snack, and afternoon snack. Plus get my breakfast and morning snack in...I never thought I'd begrudge being busy eating. It worked out fine despite breaking a Japanese taboo by eating my lunch on the train!

There was a low though, just before I was setting out. I spilt some of the milk I'd prepped and suddenly I felt like I was trying to do too much. I sat down and thought about staying home until time to leave for the group workout. Then thought about the person I was trying to be. Someone who just moves through things evenly. Who shows up and has a go. But mainly who doesn't make the decision to stay home on the basis of feeling pissed off about some milk being spilt and feeling useless.

At the time, there are so many things that seem to have a 'hold' or weigh you down. If you live alone, I think the tendency to dwell and ruminate is exacerbated. I'm trying to be a lighter person, not just physically, but mentally.

Both events today were rewarding in their different ways. The capoeira, albeit short, gave me a chance to practice a move from Thursday and play capoeira with a seven year old. I'm getting better at playing with kids in the more mixed rodas of adults and children. Is this a sign of levity? I hope so.

Patrick gave up his Sunday afternoon to remind us not to spend an age on our workout. I'll never be as fast as when I train with him, but it is a good push. To do our best, work hard, and get it done.

Get it done, be lighter.


Barbara Stanwyck (193), a photo by uf28 on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment