Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 55 - And miles to go before I sleep

This verse from Robert Frost sums up how I felt today, being in the middle of this journey...

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, 
But I have promises to keep. 
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep

For some reason, I woke at 5.30 and got all my workout and jumps done before breakfast. Don't ask me how that happened, but I hope I am in a good rhythm for next week. I failed pretty early on the pullups, my jump rope is inconsistent, my back work is good. 

Went to Kawasaki and had lunch at the Oyster Gumbo bar with Yoko. They patiently listened to what I needed, decided to charge me an extra 200 yen for throwing about five more prawns onto my pasta, and then promptly brought Yoko a diminished bowl of rice and dressingless salad. These things happen (Side observation - why did she send it back and ask for more but tell me that she wouldn't eat it all? Strange things happen when you want your money's worth...). 

As usual, the food I made myself was the real treat - pan-fried buri and steamed sweet potatoes with ginger/red onion thrown on top. Probably too much frying, but hey ho. 

Going back to the poem, I feel totally immersed in this experience in the same way the traveler did when in the woods. I know that it'll be over and I've got to look to day 90, the tough last section, but right now, I feel on top of things. 

Fellow PCP-ers, what are you feeling on top of? I know Paul is on top of his plank!

Have a great week everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Helen,

    Good to hear you're positive as usual! It's great that you've found some understanding chefs! I might try and see if somewhere around where I live will cook to order.. other than my girlfriend, with patience of a saint!

    Are you up for working out with Patrick again next week sometime? Hit me with an email if so.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I need to be more on my Jumps. I still despise them. I'd rather do twice the strength than the jumping rope. The issue of course is that I need to do the jumping more than anything else. Not only that but I need to get it done in the mornings before breakfast. So this week I plan to be "on" my mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some classic valley feelings, soldier on and keep your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, I hear your pain on the jumps. Mine vary ALOT. For me, so much of a good jump session is mental. I'll start to feel proud when I'm doing well, then break focus. Three things that work are 1. Return to the counting, only in batches of fifty 2. Have a chant 3. Think about how good it makes my legs look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized that my sliding back door reflect so I can watch myself jump. I see the fat giggle on each bounce and it keep me going LOL!

    ReplyDelete