Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 39 - Second PCP meal 'out'

Feeling a bit lost as I tried my second PCP meal out. The first, at Toshimaen onsen, was really good and they weighed everything for me. The second, at my local mom'n'pop sushi place, was less successful. They don't have scales they told me, so they advised me to just eyeball it. The 'mom' started looking at pictures of fish to find a 'low-calorie' one, but I told her sadly that weighing was everything. So had a mixture of squid, tuna, mackerel sashimi with shredded daikon (surprisingly heavy veg. as it has so much water), small amount of pickled cabbage and two pieces of tofu. (I know, I know).

I estimated the fish to be around 70 of my 100 allowance. This was a mixture of eyeballing and how my stomach felt. Not great. Then went straight out into the shotengai, and got 3 sticks of yakitoria (shitake/chicken, onion/chicken, straight chicken). The amount of meat was pretty small, and I was still feeling like this didn't match what I 'should' be having. So I asked for one more, got one as 'service', and obviously ate both.

Sometimes I wish I WAS on the banana/apple/egg thing in the evenings - no pesky weighing or guilting. (Is that a verb? It is now).

Moral of the story is...if you think that it's not worked out in a restaurant or other culinary establishment, then quit while you're behind. Put down the chopsticks, walk into a place that sells produce, buy it quickly, take it home and weigh a conservative guess on what you missed. This IS why I tend to cook more at home. Hey ho.

In other fails, I misjudged my fruit (don't ask how, it's my special secret) and forgot how many pullups I needed to do when I got to my 'bar' in the playground, so I did 40 in 4 sets. Now I check, I see that I was right, huzzah!

Today's highlight was a set of scarily fast jumps just after noon. Done in a wraparound dress under the sakura surrounded by salarymen and kids on their lunch break.

6 comments:

  1. Yep, there's just no good way to eat out and have PCP compliance. Good training for post project life though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I went to dinner I brought my scale he he. Silly but it worked, and honestly I don't think anyone noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly here in Brazil we have a lot of restaurants with scales, it us called "comida à kilo",which means you pay for the weight of food and not for the dish itself. Pretty handy for people on a program like yours.
    I guess you might have passed the weight allowance, but I don't think it is necessary for you to feel guilty. As a health professional, I use to say remember the diet is just your guideline to reach a goal, if you take a secondary road, you should try to enjoy the ride cause you will still reach your goal, but it might take a bit longer :-)
    Have a nice day, my dear!
    Bolinha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bolinha! I miss you. Be good in Brazil (is that possible?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I find restaurants in London are less accommodating. They look at me like I'm a bit psycho. Although one waiter said to me "Do you have a six-pack under your shirt?". I replied 'not yet!'.

    To answer your question...in East Dulwich here and absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That story about you doing your skips in your lunch hour in full work attire is hilarious! Trendsetter. I bet you'll have a lunchtime skipping club within a week!

    ReplyDelete